It all started in June, 1934 with less than ten people that believed God and a visionary named Rev. Charles H. Bernard. For three years the people borrowed space to worship and continued to believe the Lord for a permanent home. Change was a regular occurrence for first 12 years of Sharon’s existence, but the people remained faithful. In October, 1947 God gave Sharon a pastor, Rev. Phillip M. King that would lead the people for the next 34 years. During his tenure the church paid off all debt, purchased new property, and paid off debt again.
Sharon was about 48 years old when it met a man that would lead God's people with God's Word into the future. In January, 1982 Keith Wayne Reed, Sr changed the mission of Sharon Baptist Church. He declared that the church would use the Bible and focus on three things: evangelizing the lost, edifying the saints, and exalting the Savior.
Sounds simple, but it was a new direction that God honored. People came from everywhere to hear the teachings of the word of God and we went from serving 280 people in 1982 to over 2000 in 1997. We created seats in any crevice you could find and parking was almost impossible on the small residential streets of southwest Philadelphia. It was time!
We found land in the Wynnefield Heights area of Philadelphia, broke ground, and in September 1999, we moved in to our new sanctuary.
Since the move over a decade ago, we haven’t stopped serving God or loving on God’s people. New challenges and opportunities are on the horizon and we look forward to what God is going to do in and through us.